BREASTFEEDING AND INCARCERATION TOOLKIT
Welcome to the W.O.R.K. Together Series - Breastfeeding Roadblock Toolkit for Incarceration. Here you will find information and tools for breastfeeding advocates and incarcerated breastfeeding mothers/parents.
In support of the breastfeeding rights of incarcerated mothers, we advocate for the following:
• Adoption of lactation accommodation policies for all incarcerated mothers
• Adoption of milk expression programs for all incarcerated mothers
• Adoption of humane birthing practices that support laboring women and their infants
• Accommodation of direct access to baby through Prison Nursery Programs
• Advocating for community-based alternatives to incarceration as viable sentencing options for mothers
• Supporting treatment as an alternative to punishment through trauma-based services
• Establishing support services that focus on the parenting relationship between mother and child.
This toolkit includes:
1) Platform for Sharing Breastfeeding and Incaceration Stories
2) Resources for Advocates
3) Template Prison Lactation Policies
4) Template Letters
5) Guide to Breastfeeding and Incarceration