Toolkit for Employers
Supporting breastfeeding employees is good for business. Materials in this toolkit will provide information about how your business can become "breastfeeding-friendly." Also included is guidance on understanding the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act's (ACA) Reasonable Break Time for Nursing Mothers legislation. Finally, use these resources and contact MIBFN for assistance in setting up a lactation support program for your business.
MI Breastfeeding-Friendly Workplace Awards
Already supporting breastfeeding employees? MIBFN wishes to recognize businesses in compliance with Break Time for Nursing Mothers and celebrate those that go above and beyond the law's requirements to provide workplace support to their breastfeeding employees through the MI Breastfeeding-Friendly Workplace Awards. Learn more about how to apply and get recognized!
Benefits of a Workplace Lactation Program
- How Lactation Support Benefits Employers (MIBFN Handout)
- For Business Managers Brochure (US DHHS Office on Women's Health)
Business Case for Breastfeeding
The Business Case for Breastfeeding is a comprehensive program developed by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources, and Services Administration's Maternal and Child Health Bureau and the HHS Office on Women's Health. The initiative is designed to educate employers about the value of supporting nursing employees in the workplace and highlights how such support contributes to the success of the entire business. The Business Case offers several tools to help employers provide worksite lactation support and privacy for breastfeeding mothers to express milk as well as resources for employees, lactation specialists and health professionals.
Federal Workplace Law
- To learn about employer responsibilities under Break Time for Nursing Mothers legislation and the Pregnancy Discrimination Act, visit the Federal Workplace Law page.
- Pregnant@Work (Center for WorkLife Law)
- This online resource center provides compliance training and model policy materials for companies, human resources professionals and management attorneys that can help navigate the legal and practical considerations around pregnancy accommodation. The website also includes state-specific tools and educational materials for pregnant women, their healthcare professionals and their attorneys.
- Sample workplace lactation policy Template for Businesses (MIBFN)
- Outline of comprehensive workplace lactation policy (US DHHS Office on Women's Health)
- Why Support a Worksite Breastfeeding Program and Sample Breastfeeding Policy (New Hampshire DHHS)
Assessment and Action Plans
The Designing Health Environments at Work (DHEW) is the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services online platform for Michigan employers who are interested in improving the health of their workforce. The centerpiece of the DHEW is an assessment and action planning tool related to overall worksite wellness. This tool includes a section on workplace breastfeeding support.
- Healthier Worksite Initiative Toolkit (CDC)
- Make Breastfeeding Your Business: An Action Support Kit (Breastfeeding Nova Scotia, Lunenburg and Queens Baby-Friendly Initiative Committee)
- Investing in Workplace Breastfeeding Programs and Policies (National Business Group on Health)
- Staff Tips for Supporting Breastfeeding in Public (Breastfeeding Nova Scotia, Lunenburg and Queens Baby-Friendly Initiative Committee)