In partnership with the Breastfeeding Coalition of Calhoun County (BFCCC), MIBFN 310 Connect Calhoun County has been active since early 2017. This project aims to improve several key systems that impact breastfeeding success, including maternity care, workplace and childcare, and community normalization. The Regional Health Alliance serves as a key local implementation partner. Together with the BFCCC, MIBFN is working to increase breastfeeding initiation, exclusivity, and duration rates as well as changes in related health outcomes such as infant mortality and SIDS rates.
This project is made possible through the generous support of The WK Kellogg Foundation; the United Way of Battle Creek and Kalamazoo Region supported previous components. View all of our 310 Connect Calhoun County partners here.
- Hospital Grand Rounds: Coordinate Grand Rounds at Oaklawn as an opportunity to provide administrative support and technical assistance by local Medical Director of Breastfeeding Support Services at Ascension St. John Dr. Paula Schreck, whom has guided several systems through the Baby-Friendly designation process
- QI JumpStart to Baby Friendly Collaborative: Provide Oaklawn Hospital and Bronson Battle Creek Hospital the opportunity to participate in QI JumpStart to Baby Friendly Hospital Collaborative, free of charge to their organizations
- Custom Maternity Care Training & Tools: Leverage partnerships to incorporate consistency in Maternity Care Campaign messaging, saturating partner organizations with Coffective Training & Tools
- Outpatient Medical Provider Engagement & Tools: Engage Outpatient Medical Providers in coordinated Maternity Care Campaign, using Coffective Training & Tools and Michigan Breastfeeding Friendly Medical Provider Awards as an effective solution to engage and create buy-in, while empowering and providing strategic guidance, education and support
Learn more about MIBFN’s Maternity Care campaign here.
- Workplace Campaign Training & Tools: Engage key employers in the community using the Workplace Lactation Support Campaign Tools
- Michigan Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace Awards: Present 15 Michigan Breastfeeding Friendly Workplace Awards
Learn more about MIBFN’s Workplace campaign here.
- Anytime Anywhere Campaign Training & Tools: Engage key businesses in the community using the Breastfeed: Anytime-Anywhere Campaign Tools
- Business Engagement & Tools: Businesses demonstrate their commitment to normalizing breastfeeding on cue by hanging 25 Breastfeed: Anytime-Anywhere clings, and gathering 25 Breastfeed: Anytime-Anywhere Pledge Signatures
- Calhoun County Big Latch On: Host Calhoun County Big Latch On as an opportunity to attain community-wide normalization and collaboration among partners
Learn more about MIBFN’s Anytime, Anywhere campaign here.
- Pilot Child Care Training & Tools: Engage 6 key Early Care and Education Providers in coordinated Child Care Campaign
- Shared Services Alliance Engagement & Tools: Develop and implement Early Care and Education training modules around key components of the breastfeeding support in early care and education settings (CACFP guidelines, safe handling, breastmilk storage, etc.)
Learn more about MIBFN’s Child Care campaign here.