Why are Changes Needed?
At the federal level, Public Law 108-199, Section 629 states: “Notwithstanding any other provision of law, a woman may breastfeed her child at any location in a Federal building or on Federal property, if the woman and her child are otherwise authorized to be present at the location.” In addition, all 50 states (as of 2018) have laws that specifically permit breastfeeding in any public or private location. However, legal protection does not always translate to access and accommodations free from scrutiny and criticism. As research indicates, a large percentage of women do not initiate breastfeeding based on public attitudes toward breastfeeding, including fear and embarrassment of breastfeeding in public. The anxiety surrounding breastfeeding in public highlights the need for continued societal support amidst ongoing normalization efforts.
Get to Know the Campaign
In June 2014, the Breastfeeding Anti-Discrimination Act was passed, which gives women the right to breastfeed a child in any place that is open to the general public.
Click here to view the full law.
2019 MIBFN Anytime, Anywhere Policy Positions
- Normalization campaigns should center on messages of Breastfeed: Anytime, Anywhere to advance feeding on cue, and reduce concerns about location-specific rights to breastfeed.
- Future legislation should include language that also protects public milk expression.
- Breastfeeding and milk expression areas should be visible and available everywhere, but marked as clearly optional spaces.
To view the full policy position, download the position paper here.
- Do you have a breastfeeding in public experience or story that you would like to share
Click here to share your story.
- View the Anytime, Anywhere Pledge (English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)
- Sign the Anytime, Anywhere Pledge
- View supporters who have signed the Anytime, Anywhere Pledge
- Order FREE Anytime, Anywhere window clings (Preview: English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)
- Print and display the Anytime, Anywhere poster
- Utilize the Know Your Rights Card (English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)
- Order FREE Know Your Breastfeeding Rights cards
- Use the Breastfeeding is Good for Everyone flyer (English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)