All states have laws that specifically allow women to breastfeed in any public or private location. In Michigan in 2014, MIBFN advanced successful passage of the Breastfeeding Anti-Discrimination Act (Act 197 of 2014), which protects a mother’s right to breastfeed in any place that is open to the general public. We believe Michigan should be a breastfeeding-friendly state where families birth, live, work, learn, and play free from criticism surrounding breastfeeding in public. However, legal protection does not always translate to access and accommodation free from restraints and criticism.
MIBFN envisions a Michigan that recognizes breastfeeding and human milk as the optimal method of feeding for infants and children, works to normalize breastfeeding, and supports and encourages public breastfeeding in all its forms.
Get to Know the Campaign
In June 2014, the Breastfeeding Anti-Discrimination Act was passed, which gives women the right to breastfeed a child in any place that is open to the general public.
For Michiganders, comfortable and shame-free environments for breastfeeding mothers mean more families are able to have the freedom to enjoy their community in all the places they live, work, worship, and play.
Click here to view the full law.
In support of the breastfeeding anytime, anywhere, we advocate for the following:
- Normalization campaigns should center on messages of Breastfeed: Anytime, Anywhere to advance feeding on cue and reduce concerns about location-specific rights to breastfeed
- Expanding and proposing legislation to protect breastfeeding that includes public milk expression
- Breastfeeding and milk expression areas should be visible and available everywhere, but marked as clearly optional spaces
To view the full policy position, download the position paper here.
To learn more about best practices, view the Systems Changer’s Guide here.
We need your help! Please share your stories and experiences to help us to normalize breastfeeding “Anytime, Anywhere” throughout Michigan.
Click here to share your story.
Interested in joining the movement?
- View the Anytime, Anywhere tools brochure
- View the Anytime, Anywhere Pledge (English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)
- Sign the Anytime, Anywhere Pledge
- View supporters who have signed the Anytime, Anywhere Pledge
- Order FREE Anytime, Anywhere window clings (Preview: English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)
- Print and display the Anytime, Anywhere poster
- Utilize the Know Your Rights Card (English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)
- Order FREE Know Your Breastfeeding Rights cards
- Use the Breastfeeding is Good for Everyone flyer (English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)