The Michigan Breastfeeding Network develops and supports education programs, materials, and conferences that encourage breastfeeding in Michigan. From healthcare professional CEs, to coalition training and peer-to-peer support networks, the Michigan Breastfeeding Network’s education initiatives aim to move the needle on Michigan breastfeeding rates and duration.
Learn More About Breastfeeding
Benefits of Breastfeeding and Breastfeeding Support
- Breastfeeding Benefits Handout: The benefits of breastfeeding extend beyond mother and baby! The benefits of breastfeeding and its support also have significant health, social, ecological and economic advantages for entire families, businesses and the economy as well as the environment.
- How Lactation Support Benefits Employers
American Academy of Pediatrics
Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding
- Surgeon General’s Call to Action to Support Breastfeeding
- Fact Sheet: Provides quick facts about current breastfeeding rates and the health and economic benefits of breastfeeding. It also outlines some steps that can be taken to remove some obstacles faced by women who want to nurse their babies.
- Executive Summary: This document outlines key actions mothers and families, communities, health care providers, employers, researchers and policymakers can take to improve support for breastfeeding.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Guidelines and Recommendations: Outlines proper handling and storage of human milk, travel recommendations for nursing mothers, evaluation of potential affects of vaccines on breast milk and more
- Data and Statistics: National and state data regarding breastfeeding practices and methods of support
- Promotion and Support: Examples of society-wide approaches that are used to promote and supporting nursing
- FAQs: Answers to frequently-asked breastfeeding questions for healthcare providers and families
- Diseases and Conditions: Information about breastfeeding in the context of specific diseases and conditions
- Research: Projects that are underway and relating breastfeeding research to practice
- National Policies and Positions: Breastfeeding policies, objectives and positions of the U.S. and major health organizations such as American Academy of Pediatrics, Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics and more
- Resources and Publications: CDC guides, reports, publications and links to major breastfeeding organizations’ websites