MIBFN collaborates with organizations and individuals to bring about actionable, system-level changes that are centered on the diverse experiences of Michigan families with young children.
To lead the statewide collaborative actions for advocacy, education and coalition building to create a supportive breastfeeding culture.
All families will live and work in a breastfeeding-supportive culture.
Working Core Values
- Change systems, not families.
- Serve alongside leaders and community advocates within systems, as a partner for breastfeeding-specific solutions.
- Advance breastfeeding-supportive administrative and legislative policies.
- Increase the visibility of policy makers who adopt breastfeeding-supportive policies.
- Make breastfeeding education accessible and inclusive to encourage the broad base of community leaders who endeavor to become breastfeeding supporters.
- Align with ongoing efforts that focus on issues of equity within breastfeeding education.
- Promote culturally relevant breastfeeding research from diverse viewpoints.
- Provide relevant and timely education on how to work toward eliminating the systemic and structural barriers that prevent breastfeeding success.
- Connect breastfeeding education with access to equitable and sustainable employment for those who provide breastfeeding support.
- Cultivate and support breastfeeding coalitions in every Michigan community – including tribal, ethnic, geographic, and cultural communities.
- Ensure that coalition members reflect and represent the communities they serve.
- Support coalition work that cultivates breastfeeding-supportive systems.