Within the workforce, women are vital contributors to a company’s success, providing keen perspective and driving economic vitality. When companies support breastfeeding, businesses gain a three-to-one return on investment in addition to greater employee retention, lower absenteeism, and a more creative and productive work environment.
Get to Know the Campaign
We encourage you to work with your employer, prenatally, to discuss a plan for expressing milk. Employers should have a written policy and discuss it with their employees when they discuss maternity leave. If you think an employer is not in compliance, educate yourself before you take action!
In support of the breastfeeding success of working mothers, we advocate for the following:
- Comprehensive workplace breastfeeding protection for all
- Flexible, comprehensive time solutions for all
- Space solutions for all
- Access to baby for direct breastfeeding
- Comprehensive paid family leave legislation
To view the full policy position, download the position paper here.
To learn more about best practices, view the Systems Changer’s Guide here.
We need your help! Please share your stories and experiences to help us to catalyze a race to the top amongst breastfeeding-friendly employers throughout Michigan.
- Have you supported a breastfeeding employee as she was returning or after she returned to work?
- Does your employer go above and beyond to provide accommodations for breastfeeding employees when they return to work?
- Are you an employer or HR manager that serves as a champion and advocate for breastfeeding employees?
- Have you done something innovative to support breastfeeding in the workplace?
Click here to share your story.
Interested in joining the movement?
- Watch the Workplace tools video
- View the Workplace tools brochure
- Order FREE Workplace door hangers (Preview: English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)
- Send the Business Case for Breastfeeding postcard
- Customize the sample written lactation policy (Word | PDF)
- Share the Breastfeeding is Good for Employers handout (English | Spanish | Arabic | Burmese | Japanese)
Does your employer provide time and space for breastfeeding employees in compliance with the Break Time for Nursing Mothers law?
MIBFN is working to catalyze a “race to the top” among Michigan employers to celebrate businesses that go above and beyond the law’s requirements to support working families.
- There are three award levels (Bronze: 1-5 points, Silver: 6-10 points, Gold 11+ points and complete the DHEW)
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis
- Awards are good for 1 calendar year
View and congratulate Workplace Award recipients!