Within the workforce, women are vital contributors to a company’s success, providing keen perspective and driving economic vitality. When companies support breastfeeding, businesses gain a three-to-one return on investment in addition to greater employee retention, lower absenteeism, and a more creative and productive work environment.
Get to Know the Campaign
We encourage you to work with your employer, prenatally, to discuss a plan for pumping. Employers should have a written policy and discuss it with their employees when they discuss maternity leave. If you think an employer is not in compliance, educate yourself before you take action!
In support of the breastfeeding success of working mothers, we advocate for the following:
- Comprehensive workplace breastfeeding protection for all
- Flexible, comprehensive time solutions for all
- Space solutions for all
- Access to baby for direct breastfeeding
- Comprehensive paid family leave legislation
To view the full policy position, download the position paper here.
To learn more about best practices, view the Policy Systems Changers Guide here.
We need your help! Please share your stories and experiences to help us to catalyze a race to the top amongst breastfeeding-friendly employers throughout Michigan.
- Have you supported a breastfeeding employee as she was returning or after she returned to work?
- Does your employer go above and beyond to provide accommodations for breastfeeding employees when they return to work?
- Are you an employer or HR manager that serves as a champion and advocate for breastfeeding employees?
- Have you done something innovative to support breastfeeding in the workplace?
Click here to share your story.
Does your employer provide time and space for breastfeeding employees in compliance with the Break Time for Nursing Mothers law?
MIBFN is working to catalyze a “race to the top” among Michigan employers to celebrate businesses that go above and beyond the law’s requirements to support working families.
- There are three award levels (Bronze: 1-5 points, Silver: 6-10 points, Gold 11+ points)
- Applications are accepted on a rolling basis
- Awards are good for 1 calendar year
Nominate your employer for a Workplace Award with our online application!